Friday, February 17, 2017

Post 1

Hello! Sorry for not posting more recently, I got back from North Carolina only a few days ago. It was an awesome trip, North Carolina is an absolutely stunning state and it has been a pleasure being able to visit. While visiting UNC Charlotte, I spoke to various professors including a professor of Psychology, Chemistry, Neurology, English and Math. While explaining my project to the professor, she excitedly told me about the research regarding Binge Eating at the university. I got to ask many questions and ultimately found that that research is very similar to my own project. What she found was that in binge eating, cognitive behavioral therapy is almost always more effective than inpatient or even drug therapy (anti-depressants, mood stabilizers, etc.) in curing it. While most of my questions are regarding anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa, learning about binge eating was a step in the right direction which highlighted my main thought that cognitive behavioral therapy is more effective than other treatment methods. Thanks for stopping by! -Sylvia Karjala

2 comments:

  1. What are the reasons (that you know or think) that the therapy could be more effective?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The therapy is a more long term fix whereas inpatient is short term, and using antidepressants alters the chemicals in the brain.

      Delete